The Columnal CSS grid system is a “remix” of a couple others with some custom code thrown in. The elastic grid system is borrowed from cssgrid.net, while some code inspiration (and the idea for subcolumns) are taken from 960.gs.
Columnal makes responsive web design a little easier. It is 1140px wide, but since it is fluid, will respond to the width of most browsers. If the browser gets thin enough, the site will change to a mobile-friendly layout.
How Columnal is different
- Built-in debugging CSS to show the structure of any pages being built
- Sub-columns (columns within columns) for more layout options
- Prefix and suffix for extra space within a column before or after content
- Vertical spacing CSS classes
- PDF of grid system for sketching out site before building
- Wireframing templates
- Columnal is in active development and you may run across bugs