Read on to choose your next chart library.
The following table is used to summarize the most important features of the libraries and support for line charts, bar charts and pie charts for each of them.
|Application||Language||Price||Line Charts||Bar Charts||Pie Charts|
|jpGraph||PHP||98,80+ USD – Free||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Open Flash Chart||Flash||Free||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Flash Charts PRO||Flash||89+ USD||Yes||Yes||Yes|
The focus is on simple usage (all settings are optional), attractive looks and interactive features like zooming and mouse tracking.
- Interactive: Features such as Hints, Mouse Tracking, Mouse Events, Key Tracking and Events, Zooming, Scrolling, and Crosshairs raise interactivity and user experience in web charting to a new level.
- Axis Scaling: There’s no need to determine your data range before hand. EJSChart will calculate and scale automatically to fit whatever data it is presented with.
- Auto Zooming, Scrolling: Too much data and not enough screen real estate? Show it all. Let your end users zoom in on the pieces they’re most interested in. Axis locking for single axis zoom, scrolling and automatic axis scaling are all included.
- Stackable Series: Multiple chart series can be stacked and combined to fit many charting needs.
- Ajax-Driven Data: EJSChart supports XML-formatted data and loads data on the fly. New series can be added and data updated in real time without page reloads.
- Compatible: Built with compatibility in mind and tested on all major browsers, you can be assured your charts will function consistently for the broadest range of end users.
See the full list of compatible browsers.
- Customizable: Every aspect of the charting display can be configured and customized through well-documented properties and methods. Want to do more than just change the color of the background? Need a series type which doesn’t already exist? EJSChart is fully customizable and extendable to provide the greatest flexibility and integration for existing site designs and needs.
canvas in Internet Explorer. Both these scripts are supplied with the Bluff download. Bluff itself is around 11kB gzipped.
Canvas 3D Graph
Canvas 3D Graph is a special type of bar graph that plot numbers in 3D. This first started as PHP-GD project, but soon the developer realized that there is not much sense in generating complex graph like this on server side (script worked really fast, though).
jQuery Visualize is a plugin that provides a simple and accessible method for generating bar, line, area, and pie charts from data inside an HTML table.
- Configuration is by dynamic functions, allowing for a really compact API (very few options)
- Non-core layout is done via CSS rather than code
Protovis composes custom views of data with simple marks such as bars and dots. Unlike low-level graphics libraries that quickly become tedious for visualization, Protovis defines marks through dynamic properties that encode data, allowing inheritance, scales and layouts to simplify construction.
Processing.js is the sister project of the popular Processing visual programming language, designed for the web. Processing.js makes your data visualizations, digital art, interactive animations, educational graphs, video games, etc. work using web standards and without any plug-ins. You write code using the Processing language, include it in your web page, and Processing.js does the rest. It’s not magic, but almost.
Charts with PHP
pChart is a PHP class oriented framework designed to create aliased charts. Most of todays chart libraries have a cost, our project is intended to be free. Data can be retrieved from SQL queries, CSV files, or manually provided. This project is still under development and new features or fix are made every week. Focus has been put on rendering quality introducing an aliasing algorithm to draw eye candy graphics. Rendering speed has been dramatically enhanced since the first version, we’ll still continue optimising the code.
JpGraph is an Object-Oriented Graph creating library for PHP >= 5.1 The library is completely written in PHP and ready to be used in any PHP scripts (both CGI/APXS/CLI versions of PHP are supported).
PHPGraphLib is a lightweight PHP-based graphing library that creates slick PHP graphs for incorporation into a website or application. PHPGraphLib is free to use for personal use, and can be used for a small fee commercially.
PHPGraphLib is a PHP 4.3+ friendly object-oriented class that has powerful customization features, allowing you to generate the perfect bar, line, stacked bar, or pie graph for any application. Used with dynamic data, PHPGraphLib allows easy visual interpretation of sophisticated data sets. Simply feed PHPGraphLib an array of data points, and it will generate a .png chart of your data.
FusionCharts v3 helps you create animated & interactive charts for web & enterprise applications. It is the industry’s leading enterprise-grade charting component that functions seamlessly on PCs, Macs, iPads, iPhones and a majority of other mobile devices.
Max’s Chart is a professional but very easy to use PHP based chart generator. You can create beautiful horizontal or vertical charts fast and easy. You don’t need any database or an image library to generate a full CSS driven output. No tables used at all. You can extend the style by editing a simple CSS file.
Graidle (Graph aid), is an open-source project that is proposed to create a web application for the realization of charts; this package can be used to generate several types of graphical diagrams. There are several classes specialized in generating histograms,spider, pie charts and line charts. Visual aspects can be customized such colors, labels, axis etc.. charts are generated as true color images using the PHP4 GD2 library functions, and can be displayed as the current script output or saved to a file in the PNG format.
TeeChart for PHP is an Object-Oriented Charting component library for PHP. The library is completely written in PHP and ready to be used in any PHP scripts. TeeChart for PHP is offered via two formats, the Free Open Source version and the Licensed Pro version. Both include the full source code meaning that no loaders have to be used in order to create a Graph on your servers. Most of the features are identical between versions; the significant exceptions being that only the licensed Pro version of the TeeChart for PHP library may be used in a commercial context and that standard support is only available for the licensed Pro version.
Libchart is a free chart creation PHP library, that is easy to use. Main features are:
- Bar charts (horizontal or vertical).
- Line charts.
- Pie charts.
- Single or multiple data sets.
- Compatibility with PHP 5.
- Easy to study how it works and adapt to your needs.
- No external dependency, need only PHP compiled with GD and FreeType
The Google Chart API lets you dynamically generate charts with a URL string. You can embed these charts on your web page, or download the image for local or offline use. gChartPHP is a simple PHP Object wrapper for the Google Chart API. Should help anyone who needs to automate the building of the Google Chart url. Supports (almost) all types of charts.
Charts with Flash
XML/SWF Charts is a simple, yet powerful tool to create attractive charts and graphs from XML data. Create an XML source to describe a chart, then pass it to this tool’s flash file to generate the chart. The XML source can be prepared manually, or generated dynamically using any scripting language (PHP, ASP, CFML, Perl, etc.) XML/SWF Charts makes the best of both the XML and SWF worlds. XML provides flexible data generation, and Flash provides the best graphic quality.
Flash Charts Pro
Flash Charts Pro is an application that is used for converting your scores and finances into attractive animated graphical charts. Designed for applications it can be used for any (online / offline based) software and stats.
With Flash Charts Pro you can easily install attractive stats on your website and make detailed explanation of all scores that come from different digital sources onto your website or application, presenting it as animated diagrams. All you need to do is upload the core SWF files to the server/include them to your project and configure them via XML data files or you can streamline your data directly to Flash Charts Pro using your favorite scripting language. Flash Charts Pro is easy in use; you do not need to be an advanced programmer for using chart library. It requires no server-based software, there are 2 ways for making it work:
- You can create a list with all your data and Flash Charts Pro will catch it and display in graphics;
- The other way is that you can assign variables and stream all your data into the Flash Charts Pro, so that if data constantly changing all reflections you’ll see on your chart.
Open Flash Chart
Open Flash Chart 2 allow you to create easily charts with Flash. The library is written in ActionScript 3 and used Adobe Flex to compile it. The library use JSON as the file format.
AnyChart is a flexible Flash based solution that allows you to create interactive and great looking flash charts. It is a cross-browser and cross-platform charting solution intended for everybody who deals with creation of dashboard, reporting, analytics, statistical, financial or any other data visualization solutions.
FlyCharts is a set of Adobe Flash (SWF) files that gives you outstanding possibility to visualize your data. Now, using FlyCharts you can create compact, interactive and good-looking charts in a minute. FlyCharts doesn’t need any installation, works with any scripting language, can be used in any browser, is interactive, is scalable & flexible, size of output files is reallysmall. We have a number of chart types – column/bar, line/pipe, pie, area.
AmCharts is a set of Flash charts for your websites and Web-based products. AmCharts can extract data from simple CSV or XML files, or they can read dynamic data generated with PHP, .NET, Java, Ruby on Rails, Perl, ColdFusion, and many other programming languages.